Thursday, May 11, 2006

Chapter 2: More Magic

Name Dropping!
Here is the Richmond contingent posing with Wendy! (l to r: Me, Mary, Melanie, Mira and Drake, Wendy and Maggi.) Most of us knit with L-B on Wednesdays (I rarely make Wednesday b/c of school, but since the semester ended I have been able to show) so Wendy welcomed us like near-friends. She is going to be doing some book signings in Richmond next month at two lovely shops (Holly Spring Homespun and The Yarn Lounge) so we will all get to see her again soon.

Sheep to Shawl Competition
We caught the last minutes of the Sheep to Shawl--the fastest team was tying off the fringe as we watched. In less than two hours the fleece was carded, spun and woven into a shawl....unbelievable. Then the shawls were washed and auctioned off to the highest bidder.



One team made a GORGEOUS green one; another had a lovely pink and purple one. The teams were judged on quality, design, speed and beauty. They all looked lovely to me. The two winners were both undyed and went to the same bidder for about $500 each. Fabulous!

State Fair Preview
We also went to the exhibition hall to look at some of the handwork. This shawl/blanket was overwhelmingly stunning--it deservedly won everything, including best in show. Many of the other items were beautifully done, but this one was so unpatterned and unexpected. Very few things were on display; I wondered if they had had many entries. I resolved to enter our fairs this year; my work (on a good day) is as good as some of the other work I saw. Melanie will be entering too. What will I make?

Of course, L-B will win anyway. But hey, its an exhibition, not really a competition.

3 Comments:

At 2:44 PM, Blogger Mary said...

fun times!

 
At 3:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow - that blanket/wrap thingy is really lovely. Was it knit or crochet?

 
At 4:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

THANKS for the most lovely socks I've ever seen, they are so me. Thanks thanks thanks. I'm glad you didn't stick with the poo brown cause this green is beyond words. I'll have to find some place safe for them though cause all my friends want them. I LOVE THEM.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home