Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Horrors!

Is that really the time? where did June go?
Is is possible to go more than a month without a post and still call yourself a blogger?
Where is the dividing line between knowing how to knit and being a knitter? somewhere close to knowing you have a blog and actually updating it?
Though I have not been chronicling it here, there has been some real knitting going on (as if I would forsake the needles! Sheesh....) For BoyWonder's fabulous teacher--who just published a book about Monarch Butterflies--I made this Milkweed Flower Corsage. Monarch caterpillars eat only milkweed, which makes them taste bad to all birds who want to scarf them down. They completely depend on this plant for food and reproduction. This is my version of the leaves and flowers, which I kinda made up with the help of Nicky Epstein's Knitted Flowers book. This is a really fun book! I can see more improvised flowers in my future--I made one in less than 15 minutes to wear to a party. Good times!


I also finished my sock savior socks for my second sockpal. The yarn had come from the UK and knitted up soft and strong--its a lovely dusty blue. I had bought it to make socks for FaveSpouse but discovered that there was not enough in the skein. I did let the sockpal pick out her colors and patterns--I did not foist unloved sock yarn on her! and this was the style she chose. Inside the package I added another sock-pairs worth of yarn (in navy, the same yarn) and some locally made soap from Grubby Girl. I also made some more flowers, and tied them to some flip flops. You should always have something knitted on! this way even in summer she can have a bit of yarn with her. I am going to have to make these fabby flip flops for myself too. The sock pattern came from the fantastic book by Charlene Schurch--Sensational Kntitted Socks. The lace is called Bluebell Rib, but I call it Tulip Lace (much fancier!) My pal requested no pattern around the foot, so here they are. I finished them in less than two weeks.

I hope my sockpal liked them. I know that she got them (Alison, the sock mamma, told me) but she never emailed me or left me a comment. No news is bad news? Hope not.

I have also finished the Noni bag and one of its flowers, one flower to go. When they are all done I'll felt them. I am on the i-cord edging of the kids jacket--and I hope to take that project with my to KnitNite tonight. I have not even been to KnitNite for more than a MONTH!

Vacation knitting news and other fun bits to come.....

4 Comments:

At 4:46 PM, Blogger Mary said...

The socks are lovely and perfect! How could anyone not love them?

I've never heard of Grubby Girl - will have to look for that.

When you felt your bag, will you attach the flowers first and felt them all together, or do them separately?

 
At 9:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Meant to tell you at S&B that I love the fknitted flowers! And am glad to see you posting again!

 
At 10:35 PM, Blogger Melanie said...

Cool socks and love the flower! Sorry to miss you at knit night tonight...I haven't seen you in ages it seems!

 
At 9:19 PM, Blogger Krista said...

I just bought some Grubby Girl soap myself at the City Market in C'ville. It smells so yummy!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home